IANS | 18 Feb, 2024
Sportswear giant Nike has said that it will lay off about two per
cent of its workforce or more than 1,600 employees in order to cut
costs.
In an internal memo to employees seen by The Wall Street
Journal, Nike Chief Executive John Donahoe said that the company is
using its resources to boost investment in categories like running,
women's apparel and the Jordan brand.
"This is a painful reality
and not one that I take lightly. We are not currently performing at our
best, and I ultimately hold myself and my leadership team accountable,"
Donahoe added in the memo.
According to the report, layoffs are
not expected to affect workers in stores and distribution facilities,
nor those on the company's innovation team. The company had about 83,700
workers globally as of May 31, 2023.
In addition, the report
noted that the cuts would begin on Friday, with a second phase completed
by the end of the current quarter.
The announcement of job cuts
comes after Nike announced in December last year that it would save up
to $2 billion in costs over the next three years. The company mentioned
that it would streamline its organisation to achieve savings.
According
to the company, sales grew just one per cent through November 30
compared to the previous year, with footwear sales falling five per cent
in North America, Nike's biggest market.