SME Times is powered by   
Search News
Just in:   • Delhi Airport issues public health advisory amid Ebola concerns  • Portugal sees economic ties with India as key partnership for future: Joao Rui Ferreira  • PM Modi’s UAE visit strengthens India’s energy security amid rising Middle East tensions: Report  • India, Italy agree to expand bilateral trade to 20 billion euros by 2029  • India–Nordic Summit 2026 to help rewrite global tech governance rules 
Last updated: 11 Jul, 2020  

South.Korea.9.Thmb.jpg S.Korea, US may cancel combined exercise due to COVID-19

South.Korea.jpg
   Top Stories
» Delhi Airport issues public health advisory amid Ebola concerns
» Indian equity markets trade higher in early deals amid positive global cues
» Sensex, Nifty open lower amid weak global cues, geopolitical tensions
» PM Modi's Europe outreach brings tech, geopolitical gains for India
» India one of world’s most attractive destinations for investment, innovation: PM Modi
IANS | 11 Jul, 2020
South Korea and the US appear increasingly likely to scale back or even call off a major combined exercise due to the COVID-19 pandemic, after indefinitely postponing their annual springtime drill earlier this year, sources said on Saturday.

"Both sides share the need to stage the summertime exercise as planned, and we've continued consultations on the matter. But things are highly flexible due to the COVID-19 situation," Yonhap News Agency quoted a Defence Ministry official as saying.

Seoul and Washington usually carry out major combined exercises twice a year -- in around March and August.

But they postponed this year's springtime exercise due to COVID-19, and it has not been held to date, as the health crisis continues.

"It already seems practically impossible to push for the summertime exercise normally, given that the US has not taken action for the troop deployment to South Korea necessary for the exercise," a source said.

"Most of the US members mobilized for an exercise are reserve forces, which means they have their jobs. Putting them in weeks-long isolation is far from easy," he said.

"The adjustment or cancellation seems to be a plausible option."

All overseas visitors to South Korea are required to be quarantined for two weeks due to the coronavirus.
 
Print the Page
Add to Favorite
 
Share this on :
 

Please comment on this story:
 
Subject :
Message:
(Maximum 1500 characters)  Characters left 1500
Your name:
 

 
  Customs Exchange Rates
Currency Import Export
US Dollar
₹94.2
₹92.5
UK Pound
₹128.85
₹124.8
Euro
₹112.2
₹108.45
Japanese Yen ₹59.85 ₹58
As on 06 May, 2026
  Daily Poll
What is the biggest war impact on MSMEs?
 Export Disruption
 Raw Material Spike
 Freight Cost Surge
 Payment Delays
 Currency Volatility
 All
  Commented Stories
 
 
About Us  |   Advertise with Us  
  Useful Links  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Disclaimer  |   Contact Us  
Follow Us : Facebook Twitter